0128. One Stop in New England (USA 060--new)

Bridgeport Travel Blog

After sleeping in the car a few hours, we drove a bit further to the city of Bridgeport.   My brother Andrew, who lives in Oregon, was immediately impressed by the stately old mansions--don't see a lot of them out west.  Yeah, OK, there is some "history" here on the East Coast, but it still pales compared to what you see across the Atlantic... It’s interesting to see the switch from large mansions to working class houses as you get closer to the center of town—a very defined class segregation here.

We wandered around downtown and then to the edge of a long, rocky pier to play some music for the ferries going to Long Island...

It's kind of a shame how I-95 chops right through downtown Bridgeport--you've got to wander through this tangle of overpass no-man's land to get to from the business district to the coastal area.  To have a freeway that slices right through the center of a city would be unthinkable in Europe, but I guess here folks don’t see cities as something worth preserving and are quickly sacrificed for the sake of convenience.

I’m pretty sure Bridgeport doesn’t do Conneticut justice… but I’ll have to leave exploring the rest of the state for another time.

photo by: nathanphil