Lake Como and Lake Garda, Italy

Lake Como Travel Blog

Bellagio, Lake Como

Hey friends!!! Travelling around in the north of Italy. Currently enjoying the awe-inspiring views of Lake Como. The scenery is gorgeous. There are snow-capped mountains, rolling hills with green meadows, palm trees, colourful flowers, and elegant villas surrounding the lake. There are many famous villas here, including George Clooney's one (Villa Erba) have probably seen the movie Ocean's 12, well it's the Night Fox character's house. The public cannot visit this villa (obviously) but they can many others.

Yesterday, I went on a hike and took the most beautiful pictures. It was a good workout so I figured that I could treat myself with a big delicious Italian dinner, which I did and also had the most amazing gelato I've ever had.

Before I came to Lake Como I was in Lake Garda, another beautiful lake in northern Italy. I visited Sirmione, an atmospheric town with excellent shopping, great restaurants, and colourful buildings. The town is famous for the Grotto of Catullus (Grotte di Catullo) - it is the most striking exampl of Roman private edifice discovered in northern Italy. Other important sites include the Scaliger Castle (built in 13th century), and the church of San Pietro in Mavino, which was build in Lombard times but renovated in the 14th century. It has frescoes from the 12th-16th centuries as well as a Romanesque bell dating all the way back to 1070.
Another interesting town on Lake Garda is Limone. It is famous for being the most northernly place in Europe where they grow lemons. The lemons are grown on "terraces" overlooking the beautiful lake.

The hotels I've been staying at have been top-notch and everything is going well. The one complaint I have is that boat transportation between the towns on the lake are quite expensive but other than that everything has been perfect. I must give thanks to the people at who have created a great independent tour for me.

I'm off to Mantua so will write about that soon.

2,602 km (1,617 miles) traveled