Toronto - A Much Different Canada

Toronto Travel Blog

CN Tower and Rogers Center
We finally arrived in Toronto after an arduous journey across the vast plains of...ok you get the point it was drive and a half.  Originally we had planned to meet up with a fellow Coach Surfer that was hosting us, but the plans got mixed up and we ended up hostelling it at Backpackers.  For those of you unaware with the term Coach Surfing, its a pretty cool concept.  You can either host someone or be hosted.  Hosting ranges from quickly showing someone around, to pointing them in the right direction, to being there complete guide while you're there.  Its a nice idea of people helping each other and letting fellow travelers crash somewhere for the night free of charge.  That said, we ended up using this great service twice on the trip in Buffalo and Pittsburgh.
CN Tower

In Toronto however we just wanted to get out of the car and stretch our legs.  We parked in a lot by the Hostel, which ended up costing us over $20 Canadien for the night (ugh).  But alas our experience in Canada brought game two of the Stanley Cup Finals between Detroit and Pittsburgh.  What you need to realize is that there is one true sport in Canada, and that is Le Hockey.  In Ontario is just Hockey though because they speak English only and look at the people from Montreal as oddly as you or I do.  That said however, there is no question they equal their love of the game.  We ultimately ended up watching the game at the bar locally and you could have sworn their team was in it.
Toronto Skyline

As far as sights goes Toronto is much, much larger a city than I gave it credit for.  Vastly bigger than Montreal and in my opinion reminded me of New York more than its Canadien counterpart.  Definitely unique in its own way, it showed us things like the CN Tower, The Rogers Center (where the lowly Blue Jays play), and the Hockey Hall of Fame.  The Hall of Fame was a special treat for Alaric who's a diehard Hockey fan.  They even had international jerseys on sale in the shop, which I thought was pretty cool.  Either way, its a definite must see for any true NHL fan (the few that are left that is).

Toronto wasn't bad overall, but I don't want to put it down because we only had one day in the city and probably didn't get to see everything we would have with another day like in Montreal.  No worries though because we were on to our next location.  This led us back toward the good old USA, but not before we hit a wonder that our great countries share.
Toronto