Going home...well...almost!

Frankfurt am Main Travel Blog

Today we headed back to the States.  We got up really early this morning because once again, some of us had to take the train and then some of us (well actually just me) rode in a car with all the luggage.  We got to Dresden with plenty of time to spare before our flight to Frankfurt.  After arriving in Frankfurt, I made a mad dash around to the other side of the airport to go to the South African Airways desk, to deal with a flight I am taking from Frankfurt to Nairobi with them this summer.  I finally made it back to the gate a few minutes before they were boarding.  The plane to Dulles was absolutely packed.  We were all in our seats waiting to go for an hour, but we never pushed back from the gate.

There continued to be a passenger just walking up and down the aisle with her bags.  I figured she didn’t have a  seat for some reason.  Eventually they made an announcement that there was not enough seats and they needed someone to give up their seat.  I, knowing that the airlines have to compensate you, raised my hand quickly.  A few other people did as well but the flight attendant chose me.  So, before I knew it, I was headed toward the front of the plane with all the passengers clapping (it was kind of something like you would see in a movie!).  So I got off the plane and proceeded to go to the United desk to get re-booked.  The next flight out wasn’t until the next morning..  so they put me up in the Sheraton,  gave me 50 euros for breakfast and dinner, a $600.00 check and I’m flying business class tomorrow… so all in all, it’s not going to be so bad flying back 14 hours later!!

sybil says: