London Travel Blog

9:55am EST Thursday, July 1, 2004

I’m finally on my way home!! There is still about 5 ½ hours left here in the plane. As if this day hasn’t already been long enough. I woke up at 6:30, unable to sleep any longer. I got dressed and packed my stuff. I asked about the underground but the front desk guy had no idea. He suggested the bus unfortunately that bus only goes to Victoria Station at night. I decided to walk to the London Bridge station. I’m glad I did because the tube was up and running. I bought a ticket and was en route to the airport.

I got to the airport at least an hour early, maybe more. I got McDonalds for breakfast, not like in the states, and then just looked around in shops until my gate was posted. It was nearly 10am before a general area was even posted. I took the connector train in the airport to the terminal and once there decided to call Mom. I can’t wait to see her. I feel like such a little kid wanting their mommy, but I really do.

After getting off the phone I sat in the waiting area for my gate for the next 45 minutes. I did not even board the plane until 11:15 and that is when we were supposed to depart. We finally left Gatwick about 11:40am and we are supposed to land at 3:30pm local time. I’m so glad that I took advantage of this opportunity. I may never have the chance to do something like this again. It was an eye opening, learning experience. I never thought I could be so comfortable in a big city, navigating myself through the subway system. I was so proud that I decided to stick it out and stay for the entire time I had originally planned. I know if I would have left early I would have regretted it.

Ok well the second movie is about to start so to keep myself busy I am going to go. A tout á l’air.

756 km (470 miles) traveled