Back to London

London Travel Blog

6:15pm Wednesday, June 30, 2004

“I have officially decided that London sucks! After getting off the train, we find out that the Underground is on a 24 hour strike, that could last through the rest of my time in London. I called Mom as soon as I got in, I wanted to hear someone comforting of course, it’s Mom. We talked for a few, and then I decided to head out to find a way to my hostel. I asked the people working in front of the underground and he directed me not too far to take the above ground train, a nice walk from London Bridge to my hostel.

Tower of London
I got to check in right away, same room as last week. It’s weird being here without my group of travel buddies.

I bought a cinnamon bun from the train station so I ate that and compacted my stuff to take out into one bad. I asked the guy at the front desk what he suggests the best way to get around without the Underground. He immediately said the big bus. I told him I already did that and he suggested walking along the river and take a ferry to Greenwich (pronounced Grenitch). (should have taken the damn bus again) He told me there were some retro clothing shops and stuff.

I headed to the Tower of London. I know that was something I could walk to. When I first walked in, there was this man starting a guided tour for free. I decided to listen to him since I would definitely learn more than if I just walked around.

Tower of London
This guy was really funny.  I don’t remember what they are called but they have to have been in the military 22 years, and they live in the tower and give tours. After listening to his tour, I went and looked at the crown jewels. They are really sparkly, tons of diamonds. I was loving the tiaras at the end.

After I went through everything I was wanting to see there, I decided to check out Greenwich. I took a boat tour over and back and briefly walked around. It was pretty cold and looked like it was going to rain any second. I decided to catch the next ferry back and head to the hostel. I would like to think that the earlier I go to sleep, the faster tomorrow will come but I am afraid 6:30 is too early and I will wake up in the middle of the night. I have to get up early anyways. I have only  like £12 left and I really don’t want to change anymore money. I think I overdrew or cleaned out my account because it wouldn’t even let me get £10 out from the machine. If I sleep I can try to sleep dinner too. I hope the strike will be over in the morning so I can ride the underground and get breakfast with my last pounds. So I guess, goodnight!

Me and London Bridge