EuropeItalyMilan

Sophisticated Milano

Milan Travel Blog

Piazza Duomo

While Chiara was studying, I decided to spend the day in Milano. On arriving at the central station, my Lonely Planet failed me for the first time, as I had no idea how to get from the station to the city centre. I couldn't find any tourist information, but eventually found a hotel where the man at the desk spoke English.

Milan was very crowded, although I was in the city centre where people were spending more and more money in the endless sea of shops on Via Vittorio Emanuele. I mostly walked around, visited the stunning Duomo (unfortunately being renovated on the outside) and window shopped (only). I later found an open air market and devoured a delicious cannolo al pistacchio (pastry with pistacchio cream).

The best thing I saw was definitely the Teatro Alla Scala. I managed to sneak a peek at the theatre itself, which has recently been restored. The theatre is really something out of the nineteenth century with gold brocade and red velvet walls, and intimate balcony boxes only big enough for two people. I also visited the museum where they have kept costumes and set designs from some of the operas, including designs by Picasso.

The only disappointment I had was not being able to see Leonardo Da Vinci's 'The Last Supper'. I was quite keen to see it after reading Dan Brown's 'The Da Vinci Code', to see if the person on Jesus' side looks like a man or a woman, but apparently you must book a week in advance:(

Duomo
Duomo
Market stall selling salami and ot…
Market stall selling salami and o…
Same again