Christmas in London

London Travel Blog

Holly in her sister and sister's husband's apartment on Christmas Day.

As it turned out, flying into London on Christmas day was (mostly) a damn good idea. After half the passengers got off in Singapore, I scored a row of seats on the plane to lie down across. And there were no queues at customs. Surprisingly though, other than a Santa chocolate, I got no turkey meals.

I hoped to make friends on the plane to avoid spending half of my whole trip's budget on the taxi from the airport (there was no public transport on Christmas day). But given that sleep was my primary concern, I failed to find someone to take sympathy on me. In the end I took a minicab and managed to bargain the price down a bit. I still don't want to think how much the ride cost in Aussie dollars, but I guess I should listen to the wise words of many other travellers - when it comes to the English pound, don't convert!

I stayed with my high school friend, Holly, and her sister and brother-in-law.

Holly and I in Trafalgar Square
I arrived in time for a proper Christmas lunch with lots of turkey, followed by a nap, then left-overs from lunch for dinner, and finally a game of the DVD version of Trivial Pursuit.

The next day, Holly and I decided to make the most of Boxing Day bargains on Oxford Street. The city centre was absolutely packed, and there were actually cat fights going on in the women's clothes section of Top Shop. I'd say it took us about 5 hours to visit 5 shops, but I ended up with a very cool pair of knee-high boots!

Vikram says:
Very nice, although you'd want to add the 'r' to Trafalgar in the photo descriptions.
Posted on: Apr 08, 2006
lasersurge says:
Wow, boxing day information hot off the press. Have an awesome stay in london! Looking forward to hearing of your further adventures.
Posted on: Dec 26, 2005
Holly in her sister and sisters h…
Holly in her sister and sister's …
Holly opening her birthday present