Tuscany!

Florence Travel Blog

My highlights from Florence ...

- The statue of David by Michaelangelo. I was really surprised at just how BIG the statue was! Michaelangelo carved David out of one solid block of marble, and it is known over the world for being incredibly realistic and perfectly proportional. I've seen pictures before, but didn't realize that the statue is about 3 times my height! I'm not sure why I thought it was smaller, but now I understood just why it was so famous! It was very cool to see it, though. There were artists sitting all around it sketching it, and tons of people sneaking illegal photographs (Ness got some great ones). The museum that the statue was in also housed several other unfinished Michaelangelo sculptures, which was interesting because you could see the different stages of carving and how it was done.

- Bike Wine Tasting tour in Tuscany. We went on the tour on our second day in Florence. The crew picks you up in the city and takes you out to an old castle in the countryside that is the current home of a count and countess (!), and has been converted into a winery and olive oil press. We got a tour of the castle and a tutorial on how wine and olive oil are made and bottled. Then we got to sample some wine from the winery and olive oil on bread. They then set us up on bikes, and took us on a 3-hour ride through the countryside, with a break for lunch at a cute little Italian restaurant. It was so nice to get out of a city and do something active, we loved every minute of it. Tuscany is so pretty, and the wine and food were fantastic.

That's pretty much it for Florence! The city itself was very pretty, with a river running through it and several pretty bridges. From here we headed to Pisa and the leaning tower!

Florence