Flying cheap, well...more like affordable

Ferney-Voltaire Travel Blog

Yeah...Villa Pico here we come!

In October 2007 my daughter and I decided it was time for another climbing experience, so we immediately booked our stay in Sella for coming May. Villa Pico only has 4 rooms and a studio, so booking early is always good, especially if you want the studio. We truely thought we would have enough time to book an affordable flight to Alicante. Boy, were we wrong! I´d never counted on the long spring break,  that would infect the whole Dutch population with the travel bug and cause an unusually two week-exodus. Of course, this drove the air prices through the roof! I should have seen it coming. Knowing we flew up and down to Alicante for 300 euro, we were shocked to find the price in May to be over 700 euro. Allright, no panic, we could always try to fly with a low budget airline, could we? And so the hunt began.

Vueling, Ryan Air, Easy Jet, Air Berlin, Thomas Cook, TuiFly, Iberia... Enough options to get you dizzy. We checked them on a regular basis. What would be best? Vueling and Ryan Air didn´t fly from Amsterdam to Alicante, so we´d have to drive 150 km in Holland, or fly to Valencia, where we´d had to drive another 260 km. Easy Jet doesn´t fly to Alicante directly, so we´d have to transfer at either London, Basel or Geneva. Finally, in February, we decided we´d taken enough time to look at all the options and settled for Easy Jet. Transfer in London was out of the question. That would mean we would have to transfer between airports, from Luton to Stansted. No way we were going to do that. Basel didn´t connect well either, but Geneva was reasonable.
Close to the airport and enough for our 5 hour rest.
It only meant an overnight stay in Geneva on one way. Wonderful, we didn´t hesitate again and booked immediately. What an enormous relief! After four months of checking airfares, this felt like a milestone.

Next step: booking a hotel in Geneva. Funny, I´d never realised we´d have an option to sleep over in France. We would land in Geneva 22.35, so we didn´t care much about the hotel. As long as it was close to the airport, because check-in for Alicante would open at 05.40 next morning. The Median Geneve, located in Ferney-Voltaire offered a good internet rate, we booked it immediately. It was only untill much later I searched for some reviews. On TripAdvisory the ratings were bad, really bad. Hard beds, lots of noise, reception closed when you arrive, no airport shuttle as promised. I did get a little nervous, I must admit. But we decided that for a 5 hour sleepover, we wouldn´t get ourselves worked up. And rightly so! We arrived at Geneve Airport (Cointrin International Airport) half an hour late, due to traffic jam at Schiphol. It took the taxidriver ten minutes to get us to the Median hotel. He warned us, we´d have to arrange a taxi for next morning, with the receptionist of the hotel, otherwise we would get stuck.  In contrary to all the reviews I´ve read, the receptionist was very helpful. He arranged a taxi for next morning and promised us to wake us on time. The room was small, but quiet. No problem there! The beds were okay, so why were all those people complaining? Or is it just that we were prepared for the worsed? The receptionist rang us on time, the taxidriver was not late and check-in was very smooth. Villa Pico here we come!

Yeah...Villa Pico here we come!
Close to the airport and enough fo…
Close to the airport and enough f…
Ferney-Voltaire Hotels & Accommodations review
Convenient stopover near Geneve Airport
Looking for an affordable hotel near Geneve Airport (Cointrin International Airport), we searched the internet. Hotel Median Geneve Airport is only a … read entire review
photo by: fawkes66