Mendoza - wineries, driving around in vans, paragliding, & puking.

Mendoza Travel Blog

Before take off!

Hola chicos! So, its my final hour here in Mendoza before I hop back on the overnight bus to Buenos Aires. Mendoza has been by far my favorite city in Argentina. It reminds me alot of Anywhere California, from the houses, streets, trees, etc. Its soooo much mellower than BsAs and easy to just relax and have a gelato for a few hours and watch kids skateboard. I am please with this small city.

So Thursday morning we arrived in Mendoza, checked into our hostel, and hopped on a winery tour. Unfortunatly, tis winter here in this here hemisphere and there are no fields of beautiful grapes to behold. But we did get basic tours of the workings of each winery. Three bottles of wine, one bottle of olive oil, and a bag of amazing sundried tomatoes later we were back looking for dinner in the city.

Paragliding over Mendoza!
All I can say is FUCK FROMMERS. Now, generally speaking Im not one to use guide books. But I did happen to buy Frommers Argentina and let me tell you, stupid stupid man. I wont bore you with the details but lets just say that lameo has led us astray in this country more than six times so far. That night was no different. Wandering around for an hour while looking for a restaurant that 1) is totally overpriced 2) not good food by any means 3) on a completely different street than what was written. Like I said, fuck Frommers.

Friday we got up at the ungodly hour of 6:30 to go on a "high mountain" tour. We were expecting mountain climbing, trekking, ya know, high mountain stuff. Instead we were shoved in a van with a bunch of other people for 13 hours as they shuttled us from tourist place to tourist place.

Weeee!
Not even interesting tourist places....... like coffee shops. Needless to say, blah.

But the final soccer game between Nigeria and our beloved Argentina was on that night so we decided the day could be redeemed. The hostel was throwing a bbq before the game. So after eating a bunch of meat, drinking plenty of Quilmes cervezcas, and hanging out with a huge group of Irish drunkards, the game finally started at 1 am. ARGENTINA 1 - NIGERIA 0!!!! Good times.

Now for today, lets just say, in my state when I got back to the hostel last night, I shoved one of my ear plugs in a bit too deep. Couldnt get it out this morning and paniced. Julia took two steak knives and eventually got the thing out. My hero. Good thing too because we went paragliding today! 1750 meters off a mountain. Now let me tell you, its pretty much against every survival instinct in a human being to run off a cliff but we did. It was beautiful and I had a cool tandem partner. Julia on the other hand, got sick and threw up........ in the air. Hahaha. I dont think Ive laughed so hard in a while. So Julia can actually say she puked all over Argentina.

Alright then lovers, off to the big city and soon home! Besoss.

Winery tour.