Day 3

New York Travel Blog

First day at work today.  The office is a 10 minute walk down 3rd Ave from the apartments.  We arrived for 9.  As I feared, my shyness overwhelmed me and I spent most of the day looking at the floor and not talking to any of the 30 odd other secondees in the room.  There were people from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Florida.  The first week is just going to be training, so don't need to wory about doing any actual work.  They issued us with laptops and backbacks as well as hoodies with the firm's name on.

Work let out at 6 and we (4 Brit girls) headed to the grocery store nearest to The Aurora to get provisions.  One thing I learned today is that you need to add water to condensed soup otherwise it's just a bit jelly-like mess! We had agrred to head to a bar - The Blind Pig - later on with some of the other secondees to watch an American football game, but I somehow broke a contact lens in my eye and got it stuck in there.  Refusing to wear my glasses in front of people I don't really know I spent the evening half blind and not really able to watch the football.  I did have a good chat with Andrew though - see beer always gets rid of the shyness!

It was only when we got home I realised I had probably drunk too much as I had lost my apartment key and had to get another one issued by the doorguy.  Oops!

New York