Leaving home

New York Travel Blog

Wow what a day!  Months of planning and anticipation have led up to this day - my arrival in NYC where I am to live and work for the next 3 months.  I was so terrified when I got to the airport - I've been nothing but super excited about this trip for months but last night I had an 'OMG what on earth am I doing' moment in the shower last night and am now wondering if leaving my home, friends, family & cat behind for 3 months in the Big Apple with a bunch of people I'vbe never met before was really for me.

It was really hard at the airport - the lady at security took pity on my teary face and offered me a tissue.  I think I was crying half about the flight ahead - I'm really scared of flying and haven't done a long haul flight for 8 years.  The flight was probably the best I've ever had - I met with 2 other girls who work at the same firm as me but in a different office.  Jenni B I know pretty well as we went to financioal training college together, but Sally i had met only a couple of times.  They helped keep me calm during the flight.  We had loads of legroom and there was no turbulance at all.  Even the food was good and I ate a bit of it which is very unlike me!

We were met at the airport by a guy who works at the firm we will be working for over the next three months.  He drove us and our mounds of luggage into Manhatten and right up to our apartment building at 37th & 3rd.  As the Manhatten skyline came into view my heart leapt into my throat - its a view I remember so vividly from my first trip to NYC when I was 16, and I still dream about it sometimes to this day.  The way it makes me feel is intense - everything I love about that city captured in one vision that has been reproduced in millions of posters, postcards & wallprints the world over, but it feels like it exists just for me.

We were staying at the Aurora on 3rd ave -each of us had our own apartment with a kitchen, bathroom & washing facilities.  Its awesome!  3 months is a long time but I think I'll settle in here quickly.

There are 2 other Brits on secondment who arrived before us - one girl Claire in our building and one guy - Pete - is in an apartment block across town - The Chelsea.  We arranged on facebook before leaving England that we would meet up for dinner on the first night and get to know each other, so after locating Claire and her 2 friends who were over staying with her that weekend we headed to a restaurant close to The Aurora - Hudson's Place.  There we ate pizza and met Pete who came across town to join in.  I was soooooooo tired from the time difference I could barely keep my head out of my dinner and lasted for only one after dinner drink at the bar across the road - 3rd & Long.  Crashed out in bed at 9:30pm.

New York