Moab camping - day 5

Moab Travel Blog

By day 5, I was realizing that I need to get back home to get ready to leave on Friday for Central America.  I still had a ton of packing to do, not to mention moving out of my house.  My original plan was to leave in the early afternoon, thinking the boys would go on a bike ride in the morning and then we could get going.  But when Colin and I got up, DC and CZ were nowhere to be found.  We assumed they left in the middle of the night to go get a hotel because the wind had picked up significantly and was blowing a ton of sand into their tents, but it turns out they just went for a ride and for hike, and ended up with a flat tire that took some time to change.  We of course didn't know this, so we cooked up some breakfast, packed up the truck, and just hung around camp until they got back close to 1.
  Then there was the hemming and hawing about which trail to ride, and someone's bike needed tuned, and yada yada.  So finally close to 3, they were heading off for their ride and I made my way to Arches to do a hike or two.  It was actually getting pretty chilly and cloudy, and thinking that I didn't have much time because their ride wouldn't take that long, I only hiked out to Landscape Arch.  I didn't want to get into anything much longer in case a storm blew in and they finished early.  Bad move.  They didn't finish their ride until 6, so I ended up sitting around waiting on them for over an hour when I could have been hiking more, and the rain never even moved in.  Oh well, what can you do.  We finally got on the road home around 7, stopped in Rifle for some quick food, and then hit sleety snow over Vail Pass.  It was absolutely freezing back in Breckenridge, and starting to snow.  Not exactly what I wanted to come home to, especially with the moving that needed done.  But really, I can't complain.  It was a great five days, even though it created more stress for the two days before my big trip.  Well worth it.
Moab