Moab camping - day 4

Moab Travel Blog

corona arch
The boys woke us up early so they could go ride the Slickrock trail, and I went down into town to try to find a new tent pole for Colin since I snapped his in half earlier.  No luck on that front though.  I knew they'd be on the trail for a little while, so I went down the Potash road to hike out to Corona Arch on my own.  It's a pretty short/easy hike in, as long as you are used to following cairns.  It was definitely the warmest day of the trip and I was hiking pretty fast, so it was nice when I found a semi-cave with some shade that overlooked the whole arch.  I sat in there and ate my lunch and chatted with a guy from Salt Lake City for a while, then ventured back out into the sun to get some pictures.
good old self portrait
  You can also climb up the arch using this little step cutouts, which I did a little but it was getting pretty windy and I didn't feel much like falling.  I ended up back at camp just after the guys got back so we relaxed for a little while, then thought it would be nice to go for a swim since it was so hot that day.  DC knew of a great swimming hole that's a little hike up a canyon with petroglyphs and cliff jumps and a waterfall, so we took off for that, and ended up running into the people Colin and I had met at our first campsite that were doing the 20 day river trip.  Small world, even by Moab standards.  We stayed out there for a while and each did a jump from the top of the waterfall down into the very very icy but very very refreshing water (on day 4 in the desert of no showering, that felt great).
hanging out by the colorado river
  To get back up you have to climb up the waterfall, which is kinda sketchy since it's moss covered.  I almost slid right back down but saved it thankfully, and CZ was there to give me a hand up.  After the hike back out, DC and CZ took off to town and Colin and i went back to camp to cook and just chill; it had been a long day.  We all ended up spotting a ton of shooting stars that night and went to bed pretty early compared to the other nights.  I really should have gone back to Breck on Tuesday, but it was just too nice to leave, so I decided to stay just one more day until Wednesday and rally to pack up for my Central America trip.  The jury is still out on whether that was smart or not (leaning towards not smart, but way more fun).
swimming hole canyon