AsiaJapanTokyo

Day twelve--Tokyo

Tokyo Travel Blog

Asakusa

After eating a big breakfast, Nadean, Amanda, the boys, and I headed off together bound for Electric City. This area is the home to the futuristic technology Japan is known for and you can purchase devices there months and maybe even years before they are available in the United States.  I didn’t really go for the technology though, this area is also home to a ton of Manga—Japanese Comics—shops. I probably could have gone broke in those stores even though the manga was in Japanese which I can’t read! I settled on getting two books I already had in English so I could compare the two and maybe learn a bit of Japanese from them. It was really fun to see the comic shops in Japan though; these ones were several stories high! Plus they were really accessible and open which is different from a lot of comic shops back in the states. I decided I would do my research project on comparing western comics to Japanese ones after visiting the shops there.

Akihabara

Nadean, Amanda, and I then parted ways with the electric city and started for Asakusa. We got turned around a couple of times in the station but an older man saw we were lost and gave us very good directions! Another older man prevented us later from getting tickets to the wrong train since we were in the wrong station on the way back to our hotel!

Anyways, we finally got to Asakusa only to find the store we really wanted to go into was closed! Just our luck! There were still plenty of other stores though and we really had fun looking through all the traditional items on sale.

tokyo!
I picked up some chopsticks, those wire hangers that look like cherry blossoms, and a samurai figure to go with the geisha figure I’d bought in Miyajima! Boh of them are orange which will match my room at home!

We ran into Gena, Bethany and Cassie there and they said they were probably going to go to Tokyo Tower after they were finished shopping. For some reason we decided not to go with them. Instead we went to eat at Miami Garden again then rode the train back to our hotel for a lazy afternoon of repacking and hanging out in the lobby not doing much at all, but talking to the others as they shambled in.

Later that night we ended up watching TV and these really silly obstacle course game shows Japan is also notorious for. We get some of them on TV back home, but not these ones. One was a bunch of middle aged women and their dogs! Both had to complete an obstacle course and sometimes the dogs would just refuse and want to go swimming instead, it was really funny!

Well, tomorrow we head to the airport and take the long journey home. I don’t think I’m going to write a journal entry for that, but I already know it’s going to be quite a culture shock once we get to Chicago!

1,464 km (910 miles) traveled