A Grape picking we shall go.

Mildura Travel Blog

After a night playing Risk in the hostel I have decided to chance my luck with Tami and Roz, two English girls, who are heading up to Mildura in Northern Victoria to do a spot of fruit picking. Should be okay for a couple of weeks work I suppose, seeing as none of the agencies in Melbourne seem to be that keen to employ me :(

So, off we go! Caught the train from Southern Cross Station and after 3 hours on the train had to hop onto a coach for the remaining 4 hour trek to Mildura.

What a shithole.

Mildura is a one horse town and the horse died a while ago, its rotting carcass dragged through the street and enshrined by the locals. Here they gather, in front of this monument, every sunday morning, to do their weekly rain dance and to drink copious amounts of goon.

I dont like Mildura.

Mainly for the reason that theres nothing to do there, the hostel that I was staying at, Oasis Backpackers, was shite - critters in the roof, dodgy plumbing, dodgy landlord, dodgy people staying there - 2 Dutch guys got all their kit nicked the day before I left, it was the final nail in the coffin - and the 'work' found for you by the landlord is the dross that no other backpackers want to do. Managan's vineyards - avoid this place! Made to work standing up, pruning vines which are only 5 inches off the floor, bending from the waist, for 8 hours a day. Sorry but fuck that. Not for this soldier. Not for $15 an hour before tax. Not on your nelly.

The best thing I can say about Mildura was that it looked pretty as it receded into the distance on the morning of the 16th of November as I headed back to Melbourne.

Im rushing these entrys to my journal and not fluffing them out at all with weird and wonderfull anecdotes because I dont have much time online here, paying through the nose at a cybercafe, plus im feeling a bad case of the blues and I really cant be bothered going into much detail - I assure you all that I will edit them appropriatley with excerpts from my diary as soon as I can be arsed to do so. In the meantime just use your imaginations to fill in the gaps, you will probably come up with something better than reality anyways.

vances says: