Somewhat Longer Post on Mozambique

Nairobi Travel Blog

So, I spent 8 days in Mozambique, and my basic conclusion is that I would have liked a month.

As a little aside, if I had been a little smarter with my timing, I could have made it 10 days, which has brought home an important lesson about planning. It is infinitely preferable to travel without much more than a vague plan. However, when time is short, I'm finding that said lack of plan is an incredible hinderance. With a little bit of forethought and a tiny bit of research I could have dramtically improved my Mozambique experience. There could have been more diving, Dhow safaris and more coastline. Ah well...

So, what did I see? First (and last) there was Maputo. I had two nights after I arrived. The first was a super fun adventure and a local club (Machaneta) that I can't really describe on a family blog, other than too say whilst Mozambican women are beautiful I think if you're uncertain as to whether your dance partner is a prostitute, it's best to go home alone.

The rest of my time in Southern Africa's most charming capital (at least according to the LP) was somewhat more low key. I had an evening in resting and recovering, a night listening to local music (Stewart Sukoma - who think is a Jimmy Buffet-like figure in Mozambique) and a night doing nothing. Actually, it's the nothing night that I wanted to write about, since it brings up an interesting point. I really wanted to ex[plore more of Maputo's nightlife and I had a Saturday night in which to do it. But, there were no likely takers at the hostel. In retrospect I should have pushed my case harder (rather than just lurking by the TV), but assuming that failed, should I have gone out alone? One of the downsides of travelling alone is that you often find yourself, well, alone. And the dilemma is what to do. With infinite time, I find it easy to do nothing and wait for excitement to present it self. But, that's rarely the situation one's in, so I think you just have to go for it and brave what are naturally group activities alone. A task I've been failing in to date, but one I will attach myself to after Tommer heads back in 3 weeks.

This post has taken somewhat longer than I expected, so you'll have to wait for a bit for the details on Tofo. (And, for that matter the tales of Lions, rhinos and the ilk.)

(And Ann, photos coming soon, can't upload at this Internet cafe, but as soon as I can, I will.)
mattschumpert says:
uhhmm...

>>I think you just have to go for it and brave what are naturally group activities alone. A task I've been failing in to date, but one I will attach myself to after Tommer heads back in 3 weeks.>>

Dude, did you forget I'm joining you in Zanzibar or something? I hope you haven't decided to abandon me. I think you'll be alone for all of one day. Remember, I arrive in Dar on Thursday evening (8:10PM, SWISS Flight #292), 19th of June. See if you can get to Dar by then and we can spend 2 nights there before heading to Zanzibar. I'll look for hostels in Dar and then try to work my hotel connection in Zanzibar... Ciao, have fun
Posted on: May 31, 2008