Final days in Lima

Lima Travel Blog

a hard night!

Last night was very interesting... we went out to dinner at Los Delfines - The Dolphins. Was a very posh meal along side a window to a swimming pool maybe 1/2 to 1/3 the size of the 50m outdoor pool at the Lido, with two live dolphins. It was rather curious having them swim up along side your table and watch you eating a seafood dinner. They must get bored out of their tree but at least they aren´t being served for dinner!

There was a casino attached and I went in search of an opportunity to play "Poker in Peru" but unfortunately they didn´t have any tables. A few drinks later we headed home.

We woke with a plan today to catch up with our friends at Air Condor and then check out the Museo De Antropologia & Arqueologia and the then maybe the Museo Rafael Larco Herra with it´s extensive collections.

We quickly found the Air Condor office in town, which was manned by 3 Air Condor security staff and there didn´t appear to be anyone getting in. We managed to get the message through that we had tickets that we wanted refunded and we were redirected to another office on the 5th floor, completely on the other side of town. We walked for about 45 mins and finally found the building. Some guy in the lobby attempted to charge us for using the lift... Sue was well primed for collecting money not paying it and he got a very short retort and no money changed hands! As the lift eventually reached the 5th floor Sue stepped back and said I could sort this one.... neither of us thought we would get very far at the creditó (accounts office).  In my best spanish I asked if anyone spoke English.

Following the blue line!
.. nope! What were the odds! Anyways to cut a long story short we walked out of there, 90 mins later,  with US$363 in our pocket! Perhaps my negotiating skills weren´t that bad after all...... :-)

Ok so really they weren´t that good, the real reason we made any progress is that a local heard my attempts and spoke very good English. She explained what we were after and helped us through. Her name is Rossmary Aguirre and she runs her own tourist business in Lima. She was fantastic and we chatted for ages while they worked things out. Sue had to write a letter giving all our details, they photocopied our passports and Sue´s credit card and our tickets etc and then we were told that in about 15 days the money would be paid back to Sue´s credit card.

Musuem exhibit!!
A while later and Rossmary explained that we were indeed lucky as they were going to credit the money into our account today. With that she had to leave - having already given us about 30 mins of her time! So we waited and waited before being ushered downstairs to the cashier on the 4th floor. Then after a while they started counting out cash... yep the folding stuff!!! Then they asked me to sign for it... Sue went to sign the other form but there was no way that they wanted her to sign anything, as they counted out the money into my hand. (maybe they are a little sexist here... Sue booked the tickets in her name, paid for them under her credit card, completed and signed the letter requesting a refund but they refunded the money to me!!!).
One for Adam!
 Anyways we both left the building in shock at having received any money at all, regardless of the circumstances!

We took a taxi to the archaeological museum and after ordering a lunch (which was nothing like what we thought we ordered) we went into the museum. I´m not the greatest on museums but this place, even despite a lack of English in some parts, was fantastic! I think we maybe spent 2 - 3 hours as it traced the history of Peru thousands of years ago - way way pre Inka. After being Inka´d every way you moved over the last week or so it was great to see what happened before. Once you left one side of the museum you went into another that traced the history post the Spanish invasion right up until 2002. This was absolutely absorbing and while it wasn´t all Inka at all, it did give you some idea of what a dramatic influence they had in their relatively short time.

Should be interesting!
.. to the point they still dominate the tourist interest today. So much more to say but.....

We then went to the other museum.... having blindly followed the blue line on the ground that directs you from one museum to another via a 15 min walk. THe best thing (well we will know in 24 hours anyway) about this was trying the roadside food, after being tempted by the aromas.  We tried cooked coconut pieces in some sort of sugary coating and my fave deep fried nothing! I have no idea if there was anything in it but is was great! The museum was interesting without being overly exciting, although the erotic pottery was entertaining if nothing else!

We are about to go out for dinner again and on the town before one last chance to hit the markets tomorrow before we say goodbye to Peru.  (We hope anyway given our experiences flying so far!) (sorry can´t put photos up yet)

davesue2008 says:
update... found out that the airline hadn't actually gone bust! ... they had been closed down by the aviation authority for too many accidents! ... explains why we received money back I suppose.
Posted on: Jul 08, 2008
drksecret says:
How can an airline gone bust still give you money? How bizarre! Lucky though since it is a reasonable amount of money!
Posted on: Jun 28, 2008