Starting our Scuba lessons!

Kota Kinabalu Travel Blog

 › entry 16 of 69 › view all entries

Today was our first day getting Scuba Lessons and although the whole day was going to be spent in the classroom, I was still pretty excited cus it’s something I’ve always wanted to do. There was toast, cereal and coffee served for breakfast in the kitchen and the staff of the lodge was going out of their way to make sure you had enough to eat and drink which was awesome considering we haven’t had that kind of service at all on our trip so far from a hostel. We made it to the class on time(woohoo!) and were introduced to our dive instructor as well as one other student in the class, it was nice to only have 3 people in the class. The other guy in our class is Malaysian and is actually on vacation for a week from the Malaysian Air Force which we thought was pretty cool.

Our whole day was spent in the classroom watching diving videos and going over the material with the instructor. I’ll admit that the day was pretty boring as we seemed to go over the same stuff like 3-4 times and in more than a few instances I found myself getting sleepy eyed. The instructor did however tell us a bunch of his stories from all the years he’s been diving and teaching, some of them were pretty awesome! By the end of the day we felt pretty comfortable with all the information and passed our written test with flying colors.

After class we went back to our hostel and thought there were a couple more backpackers, it seemed everyone was doing there own thing so we never got to really hang out and get to know anyone. We also still couldn’t drink at all cus they don’t suggest drinking the night before diving so it turned out to be another quiet night. We tried going back to the area of town where the Harvest Festival was going on but it was pouring out again tonight and there was even less people braving the weather to go. It’s funny though cus you’d think with all the rain, the people would wear coats but hardly anyone wears a coat and mot are walking round soaked from head to toe.

On our way back to the lodge I had to stop and get some orange juice cus my throat was starting to feel a little scratchy and was worried I might be catching a cold somehow. I chugged half the carton and went to bed around 12pm.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!