First day in Kuta, attacked by lady boy! lol

Kuta Travel Blog

We hadn’t been asleep for more than 5 hours when our alarm went off at 9am for us to get up and do some venturing around for a better hotel before checkout at 12pm. We walked the streets for close to an hour trying to find breakfast, unsure what place would be the best as most didn’t really advertise much for a breakfast. Finally I stopped an Australian woman and she pointed us to a nice hotel restaurant close by and we had an all-you-can-eat breakfast for just over $3. There were some funky food selections but overall we were pretty happy with the meal.

After breakfast we grabbed a map and got out our SE Asia on a shoestring to try and find a cheaper hotel. You wouldn’t believe how annoying it is to walk the streets in this part of Kuta, hawkers are very aggressive and you can’t walk 2 feet without being harassed to buy something or get a message.

We did however vow to get a massage later in the day since it was only $6/hour. With map in hand, we continued walking the streets trying to find one of the hotels that was recommended in in the Lonely Planet book but soon realized that we were on the other side of town and would need to take cab to find the hotel by 12pm. It cost just under $1 to take a cab across the city and within minutes we were standing in the lobby of the Sorga Hotel. For $20 we got a double room with AC, TV and a beautiful pool, what more could you ask for? By 12pm we were checked out of our first hotel and heading back to the new hotel across town. We couldn’t believe the difference between the two sides of town, now there were less hawkers and they weren’t as persistent which was nice and the there were far more backpackers and younger people which was also a bonus cus most of the people around our first hotel were older.
Me

By 2pm we were dying to get a massage so we headed down the street to a place that was recommended by our hotel. After an hour and a half of massage we felt like a million bucks and having only spent $8 I suggested we do this regularly! Haha

Unfortunately by 4pm clouds were starting to form and after a short dip in the ocean it began to rain. It rained pretty steady through supper and didn’t really stop until close to 7pm. We managed to lay down for an hour before getting up at 8pm to get ready to head out for our first night of partying in Kuta. We again consulted our Lonely Planet book and decided we’d head to Bounty Nightclub and see what else we could find in the area. Earlier in the day we had bought some Bombay Gin to use for pre-drinking so we downed a few drinks before heading out at 9:30pm.

Jordan
It took us a mere 10 minutes to walk to street which is home to many of the famous clubs in Kuta. The first thing we came across was the memorial for the terrorist attack in Kuta back in 2002, the place was swarming with tourists and locals alike and it was kinda scary knowing that we were standing in the spot where more than 200 people lost their lives. I hope that this beautiful place never sees another attack again (The last attack was in 2005). We spent most of the night jumping between Bounty Nightclub, My Room Nightclub and Sky Garden Nightclub and with no cover it was nice to be able to jump from club to club without taking ay extra hits to the wallet. We found none of the clubs really started to get busy till after 12am and by that time we had met a German backpacker who decided to party with us for the night.
View from our room
I must admit that by 1am I was feeling pretty good from round after round of drinks at each club and by 2am we decided to call it a night and head back to the hotel. Before heading back we agreed to meet the German backpacker tomorrow night for drinks at Ocean Beach restaurant and see where the night takes us.

By 2:30am we were back in our hotel and had planned to head to bed when Jordan came up with the great idea to get some late night eats. Since we had seen a 24 hour McDonalds on the way home we figured that was the easiest solution for our hunger and headed back out to try and find it again. This is where things get interesting and I get my first little scare of the trip. Just a couple minutes after setting out to find the McDonalds we were approached by a prostitute that was definitely a lady boy and I swear could have been Jay Lenos Indonesian twin.

Me
At first she past us on her motorcycle and then just ahead of us jumped off her motorbike and approached me very aggressively asking if I want sucky sucky. I of course said I wasn’t interested and before I had a chance to react she pushed me against the wall on the street and grabs my package so hard that it hurt and before I knew it, she had her hand in my back pocket and was trying to get my wallet. I immediately freaked out and scrambled out of her grasp just as Jordan was starting to realize what was going on (he didn‘t realize that it was trying to rob me). The prostitute quickly jumped back on her motorbike and was gone within seconds. I was so in shock from the whole incident that I didn’t even want to eat when we got to McDonalds and even had a little trouble sleeping, I just couldn’t believe what had just happened. I think it was around 5am when I finally managed to fall asleep!

adelaidesurflifesavr says:
Wow, that's insane and thanks for sharing the info, will be extra careful in Bali 👍
Posted on: May 24, 2016
montecarlostar says:
Oh wow, scary! I will take this into account now that I am going to Bali.
Posted on: Sep 10, 2012
sylviandavid says:
How creepy about that weird guyette.... sorry that happened... disturbing.
Posted on: Dec 05, 2011