Exploring Singapore!

Singapore Travel Blog

Today we decided to do a little shopping since I’m looking for a new camera and Jordan wants to buy a small laptop like the Asus EEE that I’m using. Shortly after breakfast we ran into Rick who had come out with us last night and is from the US. It was his last day in Singapore so he was going to do a little exploring through the city so we decided to all go together shopping for a bit and then do some exploring after.

Our first stop for shopping was Sim Lim Square which is like a technology nerds paradise, if I remember correctly it was 6 floors of electronic stores and we were told it’s the best place in Singapore to get a deal on electronics. I spent time in quite a few camera shops but not many were willing to bargain on the particular camera I was looking to buy(Canon Ixus 970 IS) but I did manage to get an extra battery ad an 8 Gig memory card for cheaper than in Canada. Jordan and I spent some time trying to locate an EEE for a decent price but most were more expensive than in Canada which didn’t make much sense to me considering it’s made in Asia. By the time we visited all the shops it was getting close to lunch time so we stopped for some good old Burger King again(for some reason we have been craving BK).

After lunch we decided to do some exploring and stop into shops if we saw them on the way so most of the afternoon was spent checking out Downtown, Chinatown, little India and the areas right around them. We didn’t manage to buy anything else but we did manage to check out some pretty cool sights including Thian Hock Keng Temple, Sri Mariamman Temple, Sultan Mosque, Asian Civilizations Museum and Boat Quay. There were quite a few other temples and sights that we saw but these were these were the ones I remember most. Rick was an awesome guy to spend the day with in Singapore and it really sucks that he has to leave tonight.

We got back to our hostel around 4:30pm and decided to relax for a bit so that I could get some of my blog done and so Jordan could take a quick nap. The Inn Crowd Hostel has a really nice common area so I just hung out down there writing my blog while talking to some of the other backpackers. Around 8pm we went to dinner with Rick and another American from Texas who had just arrived in Singapore on his first trip out of the US. Since we’re staying in little India a lot of the eats around our hostel are Indian based which is a nice change from all the Indo food we had been eating up until this point. Most Indian dishes contain copious amounts of curry which I wasn’t too fond of at first but after a few meals I am really starting to like it. Jordan absolutely loves the curry dishes that they serve and usually orders the dish with the highest amount of curry he can find, his only complaint was that it made his poo turn yellow haha.

Around 9pm we said our goodbyes to Rick since he had to catch his flight back to Tokyo(he’s been teaching English in Japan for 2 years). The rest of the night we just relaxed back at the hostel, playing pool with a few people including an Irish guy and some Australians. Jordan was in bed by 11pm and I wet to bed around 12pm but stayed up till 2am talking to friends online and writing my blog.

Jordan_NunesVaz says:
You should read that last sentence again. Bed Wetter!lol. Enjoying your blog so far. Wish I was still out there with you but I am back at work. Back at good old Kinosis. We have a brand new ambulance sitting here for when you get back. It is a Crestline BTW
Posted on: Jul 04, 2008