Diving with Sharks and Turtles in beautiful Sipadan, could life get any better?

Sipadan Travel Blog

Today we had to catch the boat to Mabul Island from just outside the Dragon Inn at 7am, standing outside waiting for the boat we got to know 5 others that were going to the island to dive with us. It took around 45 minutes by boat to Mabul Island and when we got there we were greeted by the rest of the people that we’d be diving with for the next couple days. Along with the Dutch woman we met the day before, we also ran into the French couple that we met at the Sepilok Orang Utan rehab center! There was also 3 Germans, a girl from California and a guy from Ireland that were all diving with us, making a total of 10 divers for the 2 days.

We only had enough time to eat a small breakfast before we were getting all our equipment together and getting on a boat to head to our first dive site on Sipadan Island.

Unfortunately I got the one and only faulty regulator in the whole group and since we were already in the boat, I was stuck using my secondary regulator for the dive. Our first dive of the day was at Barracuda Point on Sipidan Island and at 30m for 28 minutes it was the deepest dive I have done to date. They really weren’t lying when they said that Sipidan was one of the best diving sites in the world, I just started diving and I can see why! The visibility was 20-30 meters throughout most of the dive and I saw so many different types of fish and plant life that I couldn’t begin to try to name them all off. The only downside with my dive was that my secondary regulator was also somewhat faulty as it was taking in a little bit of water every time I’d breathe in so I got to taste the salt water with every breath.
Luckily it didn’t take in enough to make breathing impossible but it did let quite a bit of water in if I looked up or down while breathing in. When we finished the dive, I mentioned this to our dive master and he promised to switch the regulator when we got back to Mabul for our last dive.

After our first dive we spent an hour on Sipadan Island for lunch and enjoyed the beautiful beach and scenery of this amazing place! I can honestly say that this is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in my life! There were a collection of hermit crabs crawling through the beautiful white sand along with Monitor lizards crawling around a little farther up the beach. The hour flew by and in no time we were climbing back onto the boat to do our second dive before heading back to Mabul for our last dive.

For our second dive of the day we went to White Tip Avenue in Sipadan and at a depth of 25m for 44 minutes we spent most of the dive swimming with white tip sharks and various sea turtles which was quite an experience. There’s nothing like turning your head and seeing a shark swimming within a few feet of you or having a turtle swim by you that’s so close you could touch it. Jordan actually reached out and touched one of the turtles on its shell but the dive master made the signal not to do that again haha. About half way though the dive we came across a school of between 20-30 white tip sharks which was a little scary at first but soon we were comfortable with them and I even tried to get close to a few them. Once we ran out of air we had to surface and wait for the others to do the same.

When everyone was back on the boat we headed back to Mabul Island where we were staying and relaxed for a bit, got some sun and shared pictures from the previous dives while we waited another 2 hours before our next dive. You have to have a good amount of time between dives to drop the Nitrogen levels that have built up in your body during the previous dive.

For out third dive of the day, we went to Sting Ray City which was just off shore from Mabul Island and this time we did a depth of 22m for 45 minutes and although the water wasn’t as clear as around Sipadan, there was still really good visibility and we got to see a bunch of different fish and plant life that are native to Mabul Island only! I even got a new breathing regulator for this dive since the one I had for the previous 2 dives was leaky but I guess I was just cursed today for regulators cus my new one was faulty as well and I had to use my backup regulator yet again.

Jordan was having issues with his regulators during all the dives as well but everyone else’s was fine so I think we just got the short end of the stick on this day.

We got back to Mabul Island around 4pm and had the rest of the night to relax and have fun with the other divers. After dinner we all went and watched the amazing sunset from the docks and shortly after decided to grab a bunch of beers from the tiny convieneince type shop on the island. For the rest of the night we shared more diving stories, shared pictures and a whole bunch of laughs. Honestly it was a great end to an awesome day of diving.

Here’s a very short list of some of the cool fish we saw today: white tipped shark, grey reef shark, turtles, scorpion fish, seas slugs, sea horses, clown trigger fish, angel fish and clown fish.

mazuin says:
thanks for sharing ur experience, this is very lovely
Posted on: Jul 18, 2011
lovely_lori88 says:
wow that sounds amazing! i am so jealous...can't wait to see your pics!
Posted on: May 31, 2008