Arriving in Bali!

Kuta Travel Blog

Airport in Osaka, Japan

Well it took close to 24 hours of traveling but we made it to Bali, Indonesia. We started with a flight from Calgary to Vancouver (1.5 hours), then a flight from Vancouver to Osaka, Japan (10.5 hours) and lastly a flight from Osaka, Japan to Bali, Indonesia (6.5 hours). We had 2 hour layovers in Vancouver and Osaka which was the perfect amount of time to re-charge for the next flight. I had a little bit of a snag at the Calgary airport cus they didn’t think I’d get into Indonesia without a plane ticket showing when I leave but as I suspected, there were no such issues. Infact I found Bali’s security to be one of the worst out of any place I have ever been to. Going through customs and security we found most of the employees joking around and half the time weren’t even paying attention to the x-ray machine that we had to put our bags through.

Airport in Osaka, Japan

After about an hour waiting to clear customs and security we managed to get to luggage claim where the barrage of money hungry airport staff were waiting to help you with your bags. They didn’t even give us a chance to grab our bags before they had them over their shoulders and were asking for money. I must say that I was kinda annoyed at the persistence for more and more tip money from the two guys that were helping us that finally I just ignored them altogether and told Jordan to do the same. We ended up getting a taxi into Kuta in which we again were asked for tips from everyone we came into contact with. We had picked a hotel from the Lonely planet book but decided in the cab to just go somewhere near the beach and we’d figure it out from there.

Osaka, Japan
The taxi took us to a strip of hotels that are supposedly on the beach but since it was 1am and pitch black, it was hard to tell f that was true. Since we were tired we decided to go to the first hotel and take a room no matter what the cost. We ended up at the Melasti Beach hotel and spent $35 US for a double room (kinda expensive but at this point we didn’t care). After a small walk around the hotel we stopped in at the 24 hour bar/restaurant for a quick bite before heading to bed. We had officially had our first Indonesian meal of skewered chicken with rice and a nice cold beer (Pen Tang) when we figured it was time to get some sleep.

ariwardani says:
Shame that you had to face uncomfortable time when just arrived in Bali...
Posted on: Jun 29, 2012
wanderlustbohemian says:
Tip Tip Tip, In Bali too. I don't know why I thought it would be different there.
But I stiil plan on going one of these days! :)
Posted on: May 28, 2009
CalgaryJay says:
Bali was an interesting place, had lots of fun though! I've documented my days in Bali pretty well haha
Posted on: Jan 15, 2009