Curitiba Travel Blog

hey all,

just a quick update cos i have to head out and run some errands, BUT sorry for no updates.  we haven't had internet at home for about a week now, and the extra time that i have is usually spent in class, or doing readings...  SO, for all those who wrote my emails, i'll get back to them soon.....after....
our trip to Rio de Janeiro!  we leave tomorrow morning around 5:30am and return late Sunday evening.  we've all been looking forward to this so much because we just handed in a 12 page paper.  will post photos for you guys, of course

the federal and state elections took place this past weekend and i got the chance to check out the whole process.  i went in with my host mom to where she votes, and it's soo different than in canada!  they have a digital way of voting.  basically, you go into the booth and there's a voting device where you have to type in the number of the party you want to vote for.  then a picture comes up with the face of the candidate and their name as well.  you confirm, and then that's your vote!  i also went to the location of where the final results were going to be broadcasted and saw loads of people waiting in anticipation.  if i didn't know it, i would have thot i was at a soccer game becuase people were cheering as they saw the votes increase for one candidate over another.  it was interesting to see how excited Brazilians get about politics.  tons of media were there, and i was also able to conduct a couple of interviews...in my broken Portuguese.  my topic for my fieldwork?  i've since changed it to studying how the media influences Brazilian Politics.  should be fun!

this past week, the weather has been warm, and humid.  but today, it's raining...finally!  im managing well with the food, the weather, and my classmates.  i think a couple of us have definitely bonded...and heck, a couple are even going out with each other.  interesting dynamics, to say the least.

for now, im off to "downtown" to grab some stuff, then back home to unwind, and pack for our trip to Rio.

hope you all had a happy halloween :)

much love
Jacmert says:
Interesting dynamics, indeed. Glad you're having fun over there.

Posted on: Nov 05, 2006