Crazy loads of school

Burnaby Travel Blog

I have a little under two weeks left before I get on a plane and head off for Curitiba, Parana in Southern Brazil.  I haven't yet really had the chance to get super excited about my upcoming trip, mainly due to the heavy amount of school work that our class is doing prior to departure.

To date, we have studied about the historical formation of Brazil including the abolishment of slavery, various land issues, the current social inequalities that still exist today, Brazilian economy, politics, and society, and most recently, the use of social forums for affecting change into a society employing grassroots efforts from citizens, instead of accepting mandates from above (the government).  It's all quite fascinating, but very time consuming.  I read about a book a week, which is roughly about 100 pages every 2 days.  We also have to submit two discussion papers each week, and four response questions.  At the same time, I am also enrolled in a Portuguese class.  Que bem!  Eu posso falar Portugues...mais ou menos. (Great!  I can speak Portuguese, more or less.)  That class also has its share of daily assignments, quizzes etc.  My last major assignment which seems somewhat daunting at the moment is a Research Prospectus of about 10-12 pages using 10 sources outlining my research that I will conduct while abroad.  There are many ideas floating around in my head, but I just have to nail one down, and the rest will flow.

So... Brazil seems quite far from my current mindset, but I'm sure I'll get there...literally, and figuratively speaking...

ate mais,