A day of adrenalin and eventually, relaxation

Queenstown Travel Blog

Day 2 - 1st September 2007

me, being the genius I am set my alarm to 7:30am SYDNEY time instead of New Zealand time and we almost missed out connecting flight down to Queenstown!! it was a mad rush to the airport via taxi and we made the deadline of check in at the airport by 2 minutes! haha hi 5! but anyhoo we got down to Queenstown bright and early and then went exploring. Was absolutely freezing and the weather turned from brilliant to not so brilliant in the matter of minutes.

We all went out to the shotover river and went on the shotover jet boat which was awesome, it looks fast and thrilling when you watch others do it but when you're on it, it's tame as, even the 360 degree spins were mediocre and we were all urging to go faster and faster!

When we got back into town it was pouring with rain, Aimz and I had booked to go out and do the Nevis Highwire bungy jump, which, at 134m high, is the largest bungy in the souther hemisphere.

3..2..1.. BUNGY
The odds of being able to go out and do the bungy were looking meek with the guide coming over to speak to our group going out that they were offering full refunds because they didn't think the weather would be well enough. We decided that we would go out to the bungy site anyway and check it out, better off trying than never knowing, right?!

We got out to the bungy site and it was still raining but as soon as we got out there we got harnessed up and starting going out in 4s by cable car out to the bungy pod. it is literally about a 5 square metre hut that is suspended by cables in the middle of two mountains! the cable car, having a metal grate as the floor, was scary enough and the bungy pod shook at every bungy jumper that took a leap! It was pretty cool tho, there was a small section of the floor of the bungy pod that was glass so you could look down into the canyons at the bungy jumpers that went before you.

see you later!!

Aimz went first and showed us all how it was done.. and then it was my turn, I was absolutely shitting myself! I have a massive fear of falling and heights but me being a genius again decided, why the hell not, lets just free fall for 8.5sec! haha

After i had the bungy cord attached, i addamantly told the instructor that i no way in hell wanted to do this jump and after walking me out to the ledge just goes to me "sure ya do.... 3..2..1.. BUNGY!" and bungy i did!

was an incredible experience, I think my body went into shock, i freaked out for the first maybe 2 seconds and then nothing.. i was just falling and it was the most serene feeling. Watching others jump it looked like that when u bounce back up it would be a sudden jerking movement but I didn't feel it at all.

Bungy Pod - Nevis Highwire
When i was getting pulled back up into the bungy pod I had the most wonderful views of the river, canyons and the free fall that i just did. WOW! is what i could some it up as.

That night it was raining and freezing cold. We went up via Gondola to the top of the mountain to eat at the skyline gondola restuarant.. omg.. and we ate until we couldn't eat anymore.. one thing i have to mention.. actually 2.. HOKEY POKEY ICE CREAM & BLUE VEIN CHEESE! Benny, Hi 5! haha

Bungy Pod - Nevis Highwire
Amy and I getting harnessed to go …
Amy and I getting harnessed to go…
Amy and I at Shotover River
Amy and I at Shotover River
Queenstown Sights & Attractions review
8 sec drop from 134m on a rope? not for the light hearted
Nevis Highwire Bungy by AJ Hackett - highest bungy jump in the southern hemisphere at a staggering 134m high. It is located in a secluded valley betw… read entire review
Queenstown