The Big Texan

Amarillo Travel Blog

reaching Oklahoma!

This is the first road trip across country that I have ever taken with Jaz and I was so excited about it. My father flew home from Battle Mountain, NV on the 10th to get some stuff done before we headed out. The plan was to stop at a couple of places along the way, such as the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas, and then drive him back home by the 17th. Once we dropped him off, we would continue on to San Diego, CA, where we would see a friend of mine that I have not seen in almost two years.

We left the afternoon of Thursday, March 13th and drove through the first night. The weather was horrible while driving through Arkansas in the middle of the night. After we had past the worst of the storm, I found out that a tornado had touched down in our vicinity.

Some of the sand storm!
Weren't we lucky to have missed it! In the morning we reached Oklahoma and it was still really windy. It was like that all the way to to our first stop, we even drove through a small sand storm. We reached the Big Texan restaurant in Amarillo Texas around noon for lunch. It has been a family tradition to stop at this restaurant everytime we go west. I'm not sure how it started, but if you ever go through Amarillo, stop at this restaurant, it is sooo good and the decor is really something! They have a free 72oz steak if you can eat everything on your plate! Good Luck!!! We hung out around the shooting gallery and the huge rocking chair they have before we left. We then drove to Albuquerque, NM where we had planned at staying the first night. On the way, we drove for a short distance on Historic Route 66. We arrived at our hotel early evening, which was good, because I was really starting to feel the effects from driving all night and only sleeping 3hrs in the car.

Big Texan