Cruisin

New York Travel Blog

My friends and I left on a rainy day from New York harbor on a cruise to Miami and the Bahamas. I'd been on cruises before, but was excited still to go on one with friends and not just family. We took the Norwegian Spirit. It was not the best cruise ship I had been on. The food, while plentiful as any other cruise, was not as good as I remembered. If I could recommend a cruise line, it would be Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. Both blew Norwegian out of the water. However, the entertainment on Norwegian was good. They had an Irish pub and it was St. Paddy's Day, so plenty of Guinness was had and the music was good.
Our first port was Port Canaveral. I already wrote about that so feel free to read that blog.
Then we headed to Miami. First off, the port was enormous. Lots of shipping goes in and out of Miami. Once off the ship, we headed straight for South Beach. Where else would you go. It was a beautiful day, we actually met another one of my friends down there. She was on spring break herself and enjoying the weather. Since we were on a cruise, we couldn't spend all day there, the one downside of the cruising experience. So back to the boat.
The next port was Nassau, Bahamas. I'm obsessed with sailing and a dream was about to come true. My friends reluctantly signed up with me to go on an America's Cup racing boat. This was possibly one of the best experiences of my life, and hardest. On the boats, there are crankers, that was me. You stand next to a crank and push as fast as you can while almost falling off the boat.
We also got some time to walk down the back streets Nassau. Everyone always goes to Atlantis, but I had already been there and decided the real experience was better. It is a stark contrast to the docks. The real Nassau is not well kept, but we did meet friendly people, who took our money after telling us a story. Go figure. So back to the boat.
The private island was the next stop. Now I'm not a beach guy. I can stand it for a half hour or so, but I need something else to do. I headed off the beaten path through the island. I figured I couldn't get lost. I saw the smallest airport, if you can call it that, in the world and one of the best views on the island. But cruises don't last forever. So the end of the day brought the trip back to New York, but the best thing about a cruise is that the fun doesn't stop on the ride home. There is always something to do and we took advantage.
ms_travelr says:
This sounds like it was a great experience, especially when travelling with buddies. Great pics of the racing boat. There's nothing like riding the wind.
Posted on: May 01, 2008