Jardin du Luxembourg

Paris Travel Blog

 › entry 9 of 16 › view all entries

The Jardin du Luxembourg (familiar nickname Luco) is a 224,500 m² public park and the largest in the city, located in the 6th arrondissement of Paris, France. Luxembourg is the garden of the French Senate, which is itself housed in the Luxembourg Palace.

Open hours depend on the month: opening between 7:30 and 8:15 am; closing between 4:45 and 9:45 pm.

These gardens include a large fenced-in playground that is very popular with local young children and their parents. Adjacent to it is a puppet theatre and a merry-go-round. On occasion, pony rides are also available. In addition, free musical performances are presented in a gazebo on the grounds and there is an anonymous, inexpensive restaurant nearby, under the trees, with both indoor and outdoor seating from which many people enjoy the music over a glass of wine.

Grand Bassin

At the center of the park is an octagonal pond, known as the Grand Bassin. Here, children can rent small boats. Surrounding the pond are a series of statues of former French queens. The garden is famed for its calm atmosphere.
Another attraction for children is the puppet theater.
Around the pond are nice lawns and alleys, all laid out in a geometrical pattern. Numerous statues, including the Statue of Saint-Geneviève - patroness of
Paris - adorn the park. This is also one of the parks where you can simply get hold of one of the many chairs and take it to the exact spot where you want to sit.

The park is also popular with chess players and Jeux de Boules players.


The Jardin du Luxembourg features two noteworthy fountains.
The most famous one is the Fontaine de Medicis, a baroque fountain designed in 1624. It is located at the end of a small pond at the northeastern side of the park.
At the southern end of the park, at an extension known as the Jardins de l'Observatoire, is another fountain, the Fontaine de l'Observatoire designed by Davioud, Carpaux and Frémiet in 1873. The fountain includes a statue of a globe supported by four women, each representing a continent. To maintain symmetry,
Oceania was left out.

Palais du Luxembourg

Between 1615 and 1627 the Palais du Luxembourg (Luxembourg Palace) was constructed at the northern end of the Jardin du Luxembourg.
It was built for Marie de Medicis, mother of Louis XIII. She was of Italian descent, so the architect, Salomon de Brosse designed the palace in a Florentine style.
In 1794, during the French Revolution, the palace served as a prison. It also served as the headquarters of the Luftwaffe during the Second World War. The building currently houses the French Senate.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: Sweetski