Salt and Ice

Saint George Travel Blog

Once out of the city we made good time and arrived at my parent’s house at 7pm and the drinking and eating began immediately. The family had already done the shopping and asked only that we bring the beer since Utah's liquor is controlled by the state and the beer is all 3/2 beer and as such has less alcohol.

* I'm going to add a little note here. My parent’s beer fridge was completely bare and therefore all the beer we brought was warm and frankly I don't enjoy warm beer. I had recently watched a Mythbusters where they cooled beer down by putting it in a cooler with ice and then covering the ice with salt (chemistry at work) and wouldn't you know it, it works. Our beer had ice on it in 10 minutes way faster than putting it in the freezer, just looking out for you!

Our friends Jessika and Mike arrived shortly after us to make the party complete. Dad made shrimp and chicken on the barbeque and mom made a wonderful spinach, mozzarella, walnut and mandarin orange salad. Unfortunately she forgot the oranges so Eric and I ran to the store to get a few extra's including desert and the oranges but as they were our original mission we naturally forgot them. Somehow the night went on without them. We all sat around chatting, playing cards and laughing into the night. Although St. George is only 2 hours away it seems such a world away from Las Vegas, everyone knows there neighbors, my parents feel comfortable leaving their doors unlocked or their motorcycle parked in the driveway (something I'd never do in Las Vegas), yards are green and well manicured and the weather is always 10-15 degrees cooler, it's just beautiful.

OurWorldTrip says:
That beer cooling tip, great! Will have to try it and the salad sounds heavenly...yum
Posted on: Oct 31, 2006