Shade Hotel Review and Video

Manhattan Beach Travel Blog

the open atrium

Here is a review, video and links to some photos of a stay at Manhattan Beach this month.

I have just come back from 6 days at Manhattan Beach near Los Angeles for work, staying at the Shade Hotel

The Shade Hotel (oops, I mean Luxury Boutique Hotel to use their words) if a funky looking, slightly unusual design that probably has just tried too hard to be different and unusual and has probably as a result forgotten some of the basics that actually set a great hotel aside from a good or ok hotel.

I think because they go so caught up in creating a "look" and a "feel" that they have missed some really fundamental things - like good caring service that a small hotel like this should excel in. The people on the front desk are cheery (usually) but actually don't really want to help you beyond the obvious.

the fountain in the open courtyard

There is an amazing looking bar but the bar is also where the check in desk is (and so if you arrive in the evening you walk into a booming loud room and have to shout to check in). The bar is also where breakfast is served (you need to have plenty of tiem to eat as service is slow as due to the size things are made from scratch which is great, but less good for the business traveller that needs to be in and out).

The rooms are large and clearly for single or couples and bringing kids here is not a good idea. The rooms have screens around the large bath with some trendy lighting effects. The bathroom misses a trick having lots of space but only one basin. There is a large stone floor shower which is a good size.

There is free wireless access which is a good touch.

All the rooms pretty much face either the busy main road or a side road and so can be a bit noisy and not greta view.

the bar
I found I kept the curtains closed even in the daytime as theer were people passing, a farmers market stall just outside the window.

We had a meeting at the hotel and the room (Green Room) was nice and the chaps servicing it very helpful. But as it is not really a business hotel we had to keep things like music we were using down to avoid annoyign guests a few feet away from the room. Noise at night being a problem as the bar can be very loud and if you have a room near the bar you need earplugs I believe from fellow travellers.

While I was at the hotel I thought it was funky and trendy and glad to have stayed there. But was pleased I was not paying for it as I would not have felt it was good value due to the negatives.

I found I was yearning for things like a fitness room and fast service. You need to travel some 10 minutes by car to a gym which costs $20 a time.

Will I go back? No, I think trying it out was enough for me. But glad I have

Further to my review on the hotel I stayed at all last week, here is a video of the room and a to see more photos: click here>..>

more of the bar