Arriving in Phuket

Phuket Travel Blog

Arriving in Phuket
Current mood: happy
Category: Travel and Places

After a short one hour flight from KL, I arrived in Phuket. I thought I'd take my time and let everyone else shove their way off the plane because it would take a while to get my bags - baggage is actually loaded and unloaded by hand at Phuket.

Passing through Immigration used to be a fairly quick process, at least it was in January last year. Since then, Thailand has introduced biometric security measures in all their international airports. So passengers had to go through one by one and have their photo taken by the little eyeball. It took ages to get through Immigration, as the flight had been completely full and a British Airways flight came in not long before. By the time I got to the baggage carousel, it had stopped running and I had to hunt through the masses of luggage on the floor to find my bags.

By this stage, I just couldn't be bothered haggling over the price of a taxi to Patong so I just went with the airport taxi service. It's still cheap compared to home - 550 baht (AUD$20) for a trip that can take up to an hour in traffic. Once I arrived at the hotel, I was told that I had been upgraded to a junior suite for the first night as all the deluxe rooms were full. Junior suite just meant the room was more like an apartment, with a kitchen, dining table and lounge set. I didn't really care - I just wanted to dump my bags and jump in the pool. Which is exactly what I did.

The taxi came through Bang Tao and Kata to get to the hotel instead of from the back of Patong. I was too busy looking to the left for the hotel that I didn't realise the hotel was not in North Patong at all - it was actually in Kalim Bay. Luckily, I found out the hotel has a free shuttle service into the middle of Patong every half hour. It will probably be a lot quieter here than in Patong anyway.

IvanG says:
Thai immigration has to be the slowest out of any country I have been to (although Indonesia comes a slow second)
Posted on: Apr 11, 2007
spursbackpacker says:
omg immigration sounds like hell. I am thinking of going to Thailand next year, after this trip, and can you tell me how easy it was to travel around the country. and if it is decently cheap.. ta x
Posted on: Jan 24, 2007