Nha Trang trip

Nha Trang Travel Blog

Buddha at Long Son

This was my very first time going back to Vietnam since I was 3 years old.  The flight doesn't go straight to Nha Trang, but to a little airport in nearby Cam Ranh and you have to take a 25 minute taxi ride to the city.  The view on the way to the city was beautiful, you see clear blue water and a bunch of islands while driving on a curvy mountain road.  The locals all drive little mopeds/scooters and they all drive crazy, which is still an understatement.  There is no such thing as 'right-of-way' and there are no lanes, so you drive in whichever direction you want.  Needless to say, it was a little frightening at first, but you get used to it after a while.  We got into town, had breakfast, and i checked into my hotel (Manchester hotel).

It was raining, so there was not really much to do so I just walked around the main streets where tourists stay, which would be Tran Phu and Biet Thu.

basket boat!
  This is the beachfront area and the hotel prices aren't bad at all.  An average 2 star hotel costs about 20 USD a day.  After a few days at Manchester (too noisy, little ants, a little far from the hot spots), I switched hotels to SeaView on Biet Thu and was much more pleased.  My room was on the 5th floor, had a/c and a balcony, beach view, cable tv, and was only 20 bucks.  Also, you can rent motorbikes for about 3-6 bucks a day, which isn't bad at all...it beats taking the taxi everywhere.  $3 for manual and $6 for automatic bikes.

Ok, now on to the fun stuff.  I went to the beach and got my tan on.

The deck chairs for rent are pretty cheap, only $1 a day.

Nha Trang beach
  You see locals come out to excercise/play in the early morning before sunrise.  When the sun is out, you only see foreigners out there tanning.  The beach and water is very nice, but the sand is kind of rough...not soft white sand i expected.  Also, the beach is pretty quiet, no parties or loud ppl drinking or anything.  Once the sun is down, they come out to the beach again to play soccer, hang out, etc.

I also went to the Thap Ba Ponagar (Cham Towers), Long Son Pagoda (temple w/ big Bhudda), and Hong Chong.  These are very popular tourist sites and a must see for anyone visiting Vietnam.  Most taxi drivers will know what you are talking about and will have no problem taking you there.

There is an admission charge to some of these places, but it is very very cheap, like 50 cents or a dollar cheap.

Keep in mind that you will be haggled at Long Son by young ones trying to sell you incense for the temple, and they are very consistent.

Cham Towers

There is a 4 island tour that many shops can book for you. It's about 8 bucks a person and includes food, transportation, snorkeling, etc.  However, my family and I decided to rent out a boat and had our own private tour, which was more relaxing and comfortable.  It only cost us about 40 bucks, and we had more freedom and went by our own schedule.  The scenery was beautiful, and just hanging out on the islands was pretty fun.

I also went scuba diving one day.  There are many dive shops around, but I chose Rainbow Divers.  I would recommend them to anyone that wants to try diving.

They are very professional, competetively priced, and extremely helpful.

delicious fresh fruit
$40 for one dive, $60 for two dives... I said the hell with it and went for two.  It was amazing getting to see all the fish and marine life down there.  Great great experience.

As far as night life goes, Sailing Club and Crazy Kim's bar are the place to be (for tourists and foreigners).  However, my relatives took me to a few clubs that the locals go to (GMC, Lodge, and No. 1), and it was much more fun and crazy.  Drink prices are pretty cheap, and girls feed you fruit...can't beat that!

Most tourists stay around Biet Thu and Tran Phu (tourist area), but there is still very much to do and see in the inner city where all the locals are!  Also, Cho Dam ( a market) is a good place to go for fresh fruit, knock off purses and wallets, and anything else you may desire.

Just a few side notes:

- its best to exchange your money at jewelry shops, hotels charge a little bit to change money

- you have to bargain with vendors selling stuff, they try to rip you off if you're a foreigner/tourist

- if you rent motorbikes, they always give it to you on empty! now wait, past empty!!

- massages are extremely cheap, a must have in Vietnam

MelissaBeth says:
Thanks so much for the great info. I will be going to Nha Trang next month and now I know exactly what I want to see while I'm there! Thanks!!
Posted on: Mar 16, 2010