hot magma

Antigua Travel Blog

The base of Pacaya

Ruta Maya is one of the many tour companies that take travelers up to the active volcano.  William Paul, a friend from the hostel, informed me about the cheaper prices with this company.  The price was 55Q for the ride to Pacaya, and the entrance fee was 40Q, which includes a guide.  The entrance to the trail is jam-packed with kids selling walking sticks and old dudes selling rides on the backs of their horses.  The hike lasts about an hour and a half, and is fairly strenuous, but the guide makes many stops to keep everyone together.  So it ends up being a fairly easy trek up the freaking active volcano.

As you get close, you actually have to walk over recently cooled lava rocks.  Most are unstable, which makes walking pretty treacherous.

The trail
  One misstep and breaking the fall leaves you with lacerated hands.  As you get close to the lava flow, the air gets very hot, and it feels and smells exactly like a sauna.   The guide would let you get as close to the lava flow as you wanted, pretty crazy.  I stayed around as long as I could to take photos and videos, but my legs started burning and I had to get out quick.  The dude next to me walked out of his shoes, it was so hot his soles melted off his shoes!

The hike back was pretty quick, being that it was all down hill.  I found a snake on the trail and I tried to eat it for a snack but some girls protested, so I freed it.  At the end of the hike, our guide made sure we knew to tip him.  This is an amazing tour.  I initially was unsure if I wanted to do it, because it really didn’t seem to interest me.  But I am super glad I did it, this trip ended up being one of the best things I did in Central America.

After the hike, William Paul and I went to dinner at the Japanese restaurant, and then over to Rileys for some beers.  Rileys was plenty packed and we had a wicked time…yeah Rileys.

Quote of the day: "I am lashed"

yeah, we are cool
yeah, we are cool
mountains and stuff
mountains and stuff
fire down below
fire down below
it was hot
it was hot
seriously? his shoes melted off!
seriously? his shoes melted off!
lava