Travel Day: Tegus to La Ceiba, Honduras

La Ceiba Travel Blog

view of the city

We were told by the front desk tha the earliest bus leaving to La Ceiba was at 11:15am.  We were eager to get out of Tegus unscathed, so we hired a taxi to take us to the bus terminal.  We were taken to the Christina bus terminal, apparently this is the only bus that has "direct" routes to La Ceiba.  It was a nice terminal, located outside of downtown, so it appeared safe enough.

The 11:15am bus was cancelled because not enough passengers bought tickets, the next bus departed at 12:30.  No problem, we decided to eat and exchange some money at the nearest bank.  We found a little in-door shopping center that housed a bank and a cafe.  The breakfast was excellent, eggs with corn tortillas.

ride to la ceiba

On return to the bus station, the lovely attendant informs me the 12:30 bus is now sold out, to which i used some pretty choice explatives, which apparently is understood in Honduras...ooopssie.  The Danes had reserved a spot on the 12:30 bus, so it was adios.  We exchanged emails and promised to get in touch once we were on Utila.  But to tell the truth, i was very pleased to see them go, and i would not be emailing them...hell no.  They just didnt make great travel mates, and at this point i was looking forward to some solo travelling.

I reserved a seat on the next bus for 204L, had some lunch, and generally waited around until 2pm.  There is a restaurant just outside the bus terminal, Delicias Mexicanas, that sells excellent fare.  It was one of the best meals i had in Central America, ok that might be stretching it a little.

the street my hotel was on

When it was time to get on the bus, i had a strange feeling about my bag, but i wasnt to be bothered with worrying about stuff, so i just sat back and relaxed, big mistake.  The ride was scenic with huge mountains rising through the haze, towering over shacks made of plastic.  The ride was long but comfortable.  As i was watching the men unload all the bags a sense of dread started to creep up my spine.  Yep, no bag.  My funny feeling in Tegus was trying to tell me to make sure they put your bag on the bus, but i ignored it.  Now here i am bagless.  The guy tells me it will be on the first bus in the morning, so i hire a taxi to take me to the nearest hotel, which happens to be not near at all.  But it is cheap, 180L for a night at the Hotel Granada.  Not knowing a damn thing about this part of town, or about the city, i relaxed in my dodgy hotel room for the rest of the night.

the street my hotel was on
i thought this was funny, notice n…
i thought this was funny, notice …
the beach in la ceiba