Travel Day: La Ceiba to Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras

Utila Travel Blog

ferry to utila

I woke up early and ate a quick breakfast, and started my walk to the bus station.  I did this for 2 reasons, 1 of course to save money, and 2 to kill some time before the bus arrived with my baggage.  Well, not such a good idea.  I didnt really pay attention to the cab ride to the hotel the night before, and now i am lost, walking aimlessly through the streets of La Ceiba.  Luckily, the man i asked directions from drove me there instead of telling me how to get there.  I love that, friendly people, and his car had air condition!  An amazing luxury in Central America.

I waited awhile for the bag, and grabbed a taxi going out to the ferry with some passengers getting off the bus.

ferry to roatan, does size really matter?
  The ferry terminal is about 10 minutes outside the city, and there is nothing else around.  There is a small cafe inside the terminal for Roatan.  I had lunch there that was pretty good.  The terminal is air conditioned and comfortable, however the toilet is for Roatan customers only.  The terminal for Utila, or lack thereof, is just a shack with a window where they collect your 375L for the trip.  It was very hot, so i hung out in the Roatan terminal after lunch and didnt ask to use the toilet.  This is where i met Briget and Kai, Briget is Canadian and Kai is Dutch.  They were also going to Utila, and like me had no idea where they were staying.
sunset at altons
  While waiting for the ferry, 2 friends from Antigua stumbled into the terminal, Jack and Simon.  I had first met them during the "ladies night" party at Jungle Party Hostel.  We were all headed to the same place, pretty cool.

We procured a handy from someone waiting and called ahead to Alton's Dive shop to secure some beds since it can be hard to get a room at the better places sometimes.  We were told Alton's was one of the better places to stay and party on Utila, plus William-Paul, another friend from Jungle Party was holed up there.

The Utila ticket office finally opened at 2:30.  The ferry was full for the one hour vomit comet out to Utila.  Alton was waiting for us at the dock, and he gave us a lift to the hostel.  The room runs 5US per night if you do a dive trip with them, and completely free if you take a course with them.  They offer every course imaginable from basic to dive master.

After getting settled in the new crew went to dinner across the street at RJ's.  They do a BBQ, and are open only 3 days a week.  The best fish sell out pretty quickly, so come early if you want the goods.  My brave companions had the barricuda, which usually carries ciguatera where i am from.  Fortunately, no one got sick from the fish.

ferry to utila
ferry to roatan, does size really …
ferry to roatan, does size really…
arriving to utila