Travel Day: El Zonte to San Miguel, El Salvador

San Miguel Travel Blog

Again, I got up very early, 6am, and went out to the big stuff.  The waves set up better in the morning.  I caught a few waves but would lose my balance once I was standing.  The board I was using was a little shorter than my board back home, and I never really got used to the shorter board.

I had to make my way to Nicaragua, so I paid my bill for the food and drinks for three days, which was only 37 US.    However, I did pay more for the surf trip than I was quoted, which of course upset me.  I tried to question the head guide of this discrepancy, since he was the one who quoted the price back in Antigua, but he just shrugged it off, and basically told me I paid the correct amount.  Having gone through this whole thing, I would definitely recommend travelling to El Salvador and surfing on your own.  The board rental is only 10 dollars per day, and the price to travel to El Zonte would be significantly less, but would take much longer.

I ran into a Danish couple that I had met in Antigua on the beach, and we decided to travel together to Nicaragua.  We met at the bus stop about a quarter mile from the hotel.  We figured we would make it as far as San Miguel.  4 bus changes, 5 hours, and 2.85 dollars later we arrived in the gritty city of San Miguel.  The buildings in San Miguel are low, haphazardly painted, and imperfectly vertical.  The locals harassed the fair haired Danes, yelling things like, “Go home” and “Why are you here?”  This doesn’t leave a great impression on the city of San Miguel, to put it mildly.

We stayed at a hotel near the bus station called San Rafeal Hotel.  The three of us split a double room for 20 US, which came with air condition.  However, the room never really cooled down.  Not because the air condition was faulty, it was just that hot outside.  San Miguel definitely was one of the hottest places in Central America.  We walked around the city looking for some entertainment, but failed.

San Miguel