Travel Day: Antigua, Guatemala to El Zonte, El Salvador

El Zonte Travel Blog

Horizonte Surf Camp

The cook was late today to work at Jungle Party, as i am told is his usual, so I didn’t get the tasty Jungle Party breakfast.  I had to depart to El Salvador with the Surf Shop trip.  Jungle Party keeps a running tab of all your expenditures from room to alcohol.  My bill at the end came to 550Q for 6 nights, pretty sweet.

The surf trip was 1350Q, which included one way transport, board rental for 3 days, and 2 nights in a hostel on the beach.  The trip was way overpriced.  I could have done these things on my own and saved a fortune.  However, this was my first trip to El Salvador and considering the warnings I was hearing, I was happy to pay extra for the convenience of a secure ride, and the security of other travelers.

the rooms
  The drive down lasted about 4 hours, and curiously enough, a man found the shoulder of the highway a quite comfortable bed.  It was amazing he was not hit by a passing car.

About an hour after arriving to El Zonte, the tour guide took the group out for surfing lessons.  There is an area for beginners, down from the break.  It was basically an area where the white wash pushes you hard enough to be able to practicing standing on the board and learning balance.  Since I have surfed before, I thought I would give the bigger stuff a go.  Well, soon I was in the white wash with the beginners.  I was given a shorter board because the head surf dude, told me I was ready for one.  It turns out he ran out of longer boards and had to give me the shorter one, which made me entire surf experiences a pain in the rear.

After jacking around in the white wash, we had dinner at the restaurant connected to the hostel.  Food was good and cheap, here as well, keeps a running tab of your drinks and food.  They sell Gatorade as well, which is pretty nice after battling around in the waves.

The hostel room has an amazing amount of insects, they get into everything.  Most significant are the flying ant like creatures.  I Went to bed pretty early.

the grounds with pool