Flores to Guatemala City

Flores Travel Blog

I had breakfast near the waterfront, and my server was able to help me secure a bus out of Flores.  The bus was 200Q to Guatemala City with air condition, which is rare in Guatemala.  So i gets to talking to fellow travellers on the bus, and i get a clue as to why nobody was out and about the night before.  Apparently, Flores is the point of debarkation to the ancient mayan ruins Tikal, which is the most impressive in Central America.  Well, that was the first mistake of many because i didnt posses a guide book.

I also met some babies on the bus.  Amazing luck, there was a baby in front and behind me, and they decided to cry the entire trip.  But it wasn't that bad because they were crying in spanish, and i dont speak spanish.  As we are getting close to Guatemala City, i realize the bus driver must be late for something really important, because he is driving like a crazy man.

I met TJ during the bus trip, and he offered to split his room in Guatemala City with me.  I originally planned to continue on to Antigua, but it was getting late so i decided to stay.  Hostal Volcanoes was way out near the airport.  125Q per person, clean rooms, free breakfast and internet, safe neighberhood, really nice place if you are leaving out of the airport.  TJ and i had dinner around the corner at Eddie's Hostal.  Pretty decent food, especially considering it was re-heated grilled chicken.  We had a couple of beers and since there is not much going on out here near the airport, i went to bed pretty early.

mswim says:
On a flight to Paris I was stuck in the middle seat next to a woman with a baby who cried almost the whole flight from ATL to Paris. It was so annoying! I feel your pain!
Posted on: Jul 16, 2008