Travel Day: Texas to Belize City

Austin Travel Blog

I hopped aboard an American Airlines flight to Belize early in the morning.  Landed in Belize City to some intense heat.  Apparently the airport is in the middle of nowhere, becaue it costs 50 BZD to get into the city.  I am trying to get out of Belize as soon as possible, so i had the driver take me to the bus station.  He first took me to the port for some reason, but the last departure had already left for the day.  So he took me to the main bus terminal, which was a complete poop hole.  No bus schedules posted on the walls, people milling about looking very shady.  I saw a gringo face, so i walked up to him and asked if he knew anything.  He said he knew that a bus would be going to Belmopan soon, and that sounded like it was not in Belize City, so i joined his quest.  Turns out he is an American from Washington by the name of Ryan.

So Ryan and i are discussing the crazy bus station scene, when a lady walks over to chat us up.  She is holding a huge electric fan in one hand and the cord in the other.  Now i wasnt sure what she wanted, but i was confident i would have been no help.  So the bus shows up early, which from what Ryan tells me is something close to a miracle, but i dont feel too lucky because it is a school bus.  No problem, especially after i am told the price, 4 BZD to Belmopan, which is halfway across Belize.  The bus ride lasts about 2 hours, and since it was after 4pm, the ride was quite comfortable.
Austin