The capital of amazing Ladakh

Leh Travel Blog

Took me almost 10 days to get here from Delhi, mostly because I stayed for a week in Vashisht (next to Manali). The drive from Manali to Leh was crazy, 23 hours in a Jeep, cramped with 11 more people inside, smoking, and cold weather. The driver fell asleep too many times in the last hours and it got to be really scary. Other than that, the ride was amazing, beautiful scenary, very high passes (the highest is around 5350 meters).

Leh itself is a beautiful city, sitting on a plaque at 3500 meters high. Inside the city there's the "downtown" area and the small villages around it, where I stayed (Changspa). All around Leh you can see the mountains, snowy peaks, and desert below. Inside the city you have the old fort which worths the climb, and the Shanti Stupa that lets you see the whole plaque from above.

Around Leh there are many amazing treks, I did the Markha Valley 8 day trek, climbed the Stock-Kangri mountain (6200 meters) and went to see Pangyong Lake (4200 meters) on the border with China. I heard the area of the villages is nice but not amazing.

Going out of Leh was again a 22 hours jeep ride, but this time it was half empty so I could at least try to sleep while the jeep jumps on the rocky way back to Manali.

rubaroo says:
There are flights from Delhi for Leh , also from jammu & srinagar there are flights for Leh.
So unless any one wants to explore via road, u can go by road. Infact u can also go by a vehicle hired exclusively for yourself.
Options are many.
More about Leh , when i visit there next week :)
Posted on: May 27, 2007
perazoa says:
Could you maybe give me more details on where you stayed and what travel agency you went with? I want to go there but I don't know where to begin..
Posted on: Mar 29, 2007