Day 4 - Key West

Key West Travel Blog

sunrise in the keys

What's the one thing you have to do when visiting the Keys? Watch the sunrise or sunset! Well I got to do both :)

I made sure that I was up early enough to watch the sun rise as we pulled into Key West. What a beauty! It was quite peaceful, not many people were awake yet, and the ones who were already awake were waiting for the sun to come up as well. Personally, I like sunrises better than sunsets, for two reasons: 1) I see less sunrises than sunsets, so I treasure them more; 2) To me, watching the sun rise is a confirmation of the beginning of a new day and a new start.

I'm a big fan of Jimmy Buffett, and wanted to go to the original Margaritaville for lunch. We decided that we would do some window shopping and browsing until it was lunchtime, and then walk over to Margaritaville for lunch.

90 miles from Cuba
After a delicious lunch (The burger was so big I couldn't even finish everything on my plate!) we took a nice long walk through Key West. Eventually we made it to the southernmost point of the Keys and the continental US.  We took pictures at the oversized buoy that stated we were 90 miles from Cuba.

To be honest, Key West was not that impressive - it was a typical touristy town with a lot of shops. We walked back "north" through town, went shopping, and then headed back to our ship. From there, we hung out on the upstairs levels and watched the belly flop competition, played some ping pong and basketball, and then got ready for dinner.  After we finished dinner, we had just enough time to run upstairs to catch the setting sun as we drifted away from Key West and headed towards Miami.

Key West sunset