Huaka`i

Honolulu Travel Blog

LOL! How do you like my cowlick?
So I woke up early this morning and took a drive out to the Kaiwi Coast on the east side of Oahu for a bit of reflection and alone time.  It's a gorgeous place with a couple of lookout points.  Lately, our normal tradewinds have died down so the vog (volcanic haze from the Big Island of Hawaii) has made conditions really hazy.  On a clear day, I can normally make out the island of Molokai in the distance.  Despite the hazy conditions, the morning was gorgeous.  Good thing I brought my camera!  I hopped the stone wall and walked out on to the cliff area and sat down and started to take some pictures.
Random thought:  Whenever I come here, I'm always struck by how different the ocean sounds here.  Normally you hear the waves rush up on to the sand, but here, it pounds against the cliffs, which makes an altogether different, and must more powerful sound.  Kinda puts the "ocean waves" sound on my alarm clock to shame!
After about an hour or two taking pictures and driving up and down the coast area, I decided to head home.  As I rounded the corner passing the entrance to Hanauma Bay, I realized once again how truly blessed I am to live here.  I mean, Hawaii definitely has its issues, but damn, lucky I live Hawaii. :)

P.S. I'm no professional photog, but I do like to tinker, so hopefully I'll get better as I take more shots.  Anywho, hope you enjoy some of my pics!
blueridge04 says:
You're very blessed. I am jealous. I love Hawaii too but can't afford to live there. But, I am so excited to be heading back for a visit next month!! Any suggestion? Thanks!
Posted on: Apr 01, 2009
LOL!  How do you like my cowlick?
LOL! How do you like my cowlick?
I love my slipper. hee hee.
I love my slipper. hee hee.
Sunrise on a hazy day...