A Wonderful Life

Orense Travel Blog

Salamanca glow

The title of this blog comes from an very old movie (pelicula) that tells the story of a man who ´loses his way´ and then realises what is most important in life. I have had that same experience.

I am in Salamanca for a break (like a vacation) from the Camino. I will return soom to complete the final four days of walking and enter Santiago for the celebrations of Dia de Santiago (the Day of Santiago) on 25th July.

This city (Salamanca) is the most wonderful place I have ever been to and I feel blessed to be able to spend more time here. I came because I had the opportunity to spend more time with Juan and he generously travelled from Madrid for 2 days with me.

My favourite bar
Really, how can life be any better than it is right now. I have to say that my Spanish is improving in leaps and bounds and I have a completely new vocabulary to the typical Camino words I normally use! (although Juan does also speak French and English).

This is a city like Paris and every corner brings more wonder. Different times of day reveal more secrets of this ancient and complicated city. The university here is one of the oldest and was the largest in Europe therefore the old part of the city is peppered with beautiful golden edifices covered in carvings and identified by ´olde worlde´ lettering in fading crimson paint. The mode of transport is walking with the occasional delivery van supplying the multitude of bars and restaurants. You could eat somewhere different for every meal for a year and still be surprised! I have my own ´local´bar now as I have been having desayuno (breakfast café and croissant) every day and my late night aperatif listening to soothing jazz.

Flamenco in Sala!
The owners know me and have a steaming café ready pronto inthe morning and the vino tinto ready at night!  Now Sala´ is all the more wonderful having someone to share meals and walks with.

Tonight we will see Flamenco by the Salamanca dance company - I am so excited as I have been waiting to see Flamenco since arriving and now I even get to share the experience.

Last night we watched the last of the sun unfold from the magnificent Cathedral and the full moon take its place. The storks settled for sleep on the dozens of spires and the swallows flitted in the final daylight glow. On an old stone bench facing the Cathedral, I rested in bliss as my Juan whispered endless compliments in Spanish to me. It´s a Wonderful Life!

Besos, Grrrace