Le Chat Noir

Paris Travel Blog

Starting the day at the corner 'Cafe Nesle'
Well, it was a typical "travellers" start with lost luggage in Paris and inclement weather. The wonderful thing about Paris is that it does not matter what the weather is - it is always beautiful.
I have created my first blister by wandering for hours each day - mouth agape a lot of the time. Paris is the city of passion and every store window is filled with someones passion; whether it be clothing, wine, charcuterie, patisserie, antiques, art, design - it's all divine (in the biblical sense).

My stopover of a few days has been exquisite since the minute I arrived.

For the ladies out there, I saw "Sex in the City" on first release with about 300 immaculately dressed Parisien women/girls. What a treat (except for feeling like the worst dressed person in Paris).
Montmatre - how typical
Never mind, a pilgrim must keep her feet firmly on the ground.

It is a strange thing but I cannot find the exclamation mark on this keyboard. Is it un-French to exclaim?

I started my stay here on the Left Bank in the quirky Hotel de Nesle with a climb up 5 floors to my teeny room. I did have a bathroom and a view of the top quarter of the Eiffel tower though.
I explored the Latin Quarter by the time honoured zig-zag method (Sorbonne, Pantheon, Musee de Cluny) . You are never lost in Paris as there is always a Metro handy. The Catacombes threw a curly one though as you emerge in a completely different place to your entrance. Favourite place - Jardins de Luxemburg.

I also caught up with a friend (met in Burma) from Holland. We spent the afternoon bar-hopping (much more charming and chi-chi than in Melbourne - think sidewalk bars, beautiful waiters and similar wine) starting on the Left Bank and finishing up in the Marais.
I had my veges mooshed in one of these as a kid!
I returned to the Marais the following day to savour the feel once more. The Place des Vosges has to be one of the most stunning enclosed gardens in the world.

Yesterday I switched sides (NOT that side) and I am now staying in Montmartre with a gorgeous couchsurfing friend, Nora. Her wonderful appartment is in the centre of this triangle:  Moulin Rouge, Rue des Abysses (one of the most beautiful shopping strips in Paris) and Rue Lepic (housing the cafe where some of "Amelie" was filmed). It is a very Prahran/bohemian neighbourhood (also a resident trannie on the local corner) so I feel right at home. Yesterday I walked around Montmartre for hours and even lit a candle for my people in Sacre Coeur.

Well, tonight I am attempting to find the Cafe St Jacques to meet up with some Parisien pilgrims who have also walked the Camino de Santiago. I have fingers crossed that someone speaks English or perhaps they will slow their French down for me ? (in the absense of an exclamation mark).
Starting the day at the corner Ca…
Starting the day at the corner 'C…
Montmatre - how typical
I had my veges mooshed in one of t…
I had my veges mooshed in one of …
Paris