Punta Gorda

Punta Gorda Travel Blog

We had a very pleasant chicken bus ride to Punta Gorda. It was SO much better than the trip to Placencia we made a few months ago - that was about the most miserable, dustiest ride I'd ever been on. PG is a cool llittle town, I don't think I'd ever want to spend more than a couple of days there, but it was a great jumping off point to take the boat to Puerto Barrios in Guatemala. There aren't good beaches in town, but there are a number of tours in the area that sound pretty interesting if we'd had the money or time to do it.

The Moon handbook's highly reccomended Wahima Hotel was closed, and looked extremely run-down, with a for sale sign out front. The Nature's Way Guest House was closed for repairs, so we stayed at another budget option, the St. Charles Inn ($25 w/o air-con, double). It was pretty nice. They also run a cable company - every unbuilt inch of the lot containing the hotel is covered in a plethora of satellite dshes. Needless to say, our cable tv in our room was excellent!

Also dissapointing was that another highly recommended Moon Handbook place, the Earth Runnins and Bukut Bar was closed, even though there were signs to the contrary all over town.  We ate at Merenco's, and Grace's, which were both pretty good.
Punta Gorda