London Travel Blog

In an earlier posting, I wrote about the new Terminal 5 at London Heathrow, which serves as the main terminal now for British Airways.

Today I was flying out of T5 on my way to Newark Airport in the USA. As British Airways has an offer at present, I was getting to fly First Class on one leg for the regular price. (Nice offer!)

Now here is the thing about BA lounges. They have 3 types of lounges:
- Executive Club Lounge
- First Class Lounge
- Concorde Lounge

And what is kind of odd in all of that, other than Concorde stopped flying years ago, is that the First Class lounge is really for Gold Card holders and Concorde Lounge if you are actually flying First.

Years ago, the Concorde lounge was just that. And you boarded straight from the lounge onto the plane. Something I was lucky enough to have done twice.

This was the first time I had been to the Concorde Lounge at T5, though have posted about the First Class lounge.

The lounge is pretty good, with a restaurant with booths where you can order meals (for nothing). I ordered a breakfast of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon from a smaller menu and sat in the open area.

There is a large bar and then loads of sofas and chairs dotted about to relax in, both in the lounge and then on a more open seating area overlooking the main terminal.

There is a Quintessential concierge desk to offer arrangements to travelers, and there also seems to be cabana rooms you can book to nap in.

A boardroom is available.

There is free wi-fi access (at last!)
I also visited the massive executive lounge in the B section of Terminal 5, where my flight departed from (B section is where many of the long haul flights depart from, and is reached by a small monorail)

photo by: ulysses