shopping in the touristy town

Minocqua Travel Blog

Penny parade

We came up to the Minocqua area for a scrapbook retreat.  Some friends and I rented a retreat house for a long weekend and we planned on spending the weekend scrapbooking, talking and raising money for the breast cancer 3 day walk for a cure.

On our way up, I insisted we stop at the World's Largest Penny in Woodruff, WI (just north of Minocqua).  The concrete penny was created to honor the efforts of a local doctor and the community for collecting enough pennies to build a hospital.  The monument is not very exciting, but it was worth a quick stop.  Besides, I had other reasons for stopping - there was a geocache located here!  After a few minutes of searching, and introducing my friends to it, we found the cleverly hidden container.

World's largest penny

On Saturday we decided we needed a break and wanted to check out the town.  It had been raining off and on all day, so we took advantage of the partial clearing.  We did some shopping at the boardwalk shops - most of us bought chocolate and cheese (ha ha!).  I like cheese stores because they have all sorts of fun flavors and you can sample them.  I ended up with some buffalo cheese (you know, the hot buffalo sauce?).  I thought it might be good and add a little kick to grilled cheese sandwiches, and I was right!  Yum!

Minocqua is a city on an island.  It is surrounded by water and filled with shops and tourists.  The towns north and south have also grown into the tourist trade with more shops, restaurants, cabins, and fun activities.  It was a pretty busy weekend with lots of people out.  There are lots of lakes up here and people spend their time on the water.

Glynnes says:
Congrats on being Today's Featured Travel Blog.
Great photos!
Posted on: Jun 26, 2012
alyssa_ob says:
it was too small so I only signed my name
Posted on: Aug 13, 2010
LostInSpace2010 says:
Did you get something out of geocache container/put something inside? =)
Posted on: Aug 13, 2010