my last visit?

Spencer Travel Blog

this area is marshy

I had several relatives in this small town.  My grandparents lived here and I have many fond memories of spending time in this safe little town.  When I was little, my sister and I would walk 5 blocks down to play on the playground next to the railroad tracks.  The park was next to the Land O Lakes plant and it always smelled like cheetos.  I loved playing there and watching the trains go by.  I could hear them rumbling from a few miles off and would stand by the tracks until they got too close and scared me.  Sometimes we would walk over to the little pond behind the old folks home (I know, not politically correct, but that's what we called it).  For some reason we thought there would be fish in there so we would go fishing.  Even though it isn't connected to any rivers that I know of, it did have bullheads in it.   Sometimes Grandma would take us to the root beer stand for lunch - that was a treat!  I don't know if it is open anymore.

I was in town for a funeral today and its been several years since I've been here.  We drove around town looking at past homes of our relatives and changes in the town.  It was sad.  I don't really have any reason to come back to this town anymore.  But I will always remember it with my smiling relatives and the innocent views of a child.

crossing a marsh